> > Hi list,
> > I m experiencing random freezes with few T22 fairly old laptops.
> > I know those have crazy bios with few bugs.
> > I tried a jump at UKC then disabled the acpi with no effect.
> > I disabled the power mangement for cpu and pci bus with no more
> > luke.
>
> I think you are going down the wrong path here.

I tried so many things including disabling all io .

> > I ve been amused to discover at last boot the laptop is faster than
> > ever (no explanation yet ) but i do have a really singular dmesg...
> >
> > # dmesg|grep cpu
> > cpu0: Intel Pentium III ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 186 MHz
> > cpu0:
> > FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE
> > cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
> >
> > Nope this is not a troll with modified frequency :))
>
> no, but it could be a troll with a snipped dmesg.

Not at all ,i mean not in my case.
As i said i disabled  (from the crappy setup itself not @ukc)
power management , for the cpu and pci.
I forgot to say those pc are using the DC adapter not the battery
i set cpu to max perf from the setup, so no speedstep issue :-/

> Some (at least) PIII-based IBM ThinkPads come up with really funny
> processor speeds.  Don't sweat it, it has nothing to do with reality
> (which is a bummer, 90% of the time, I wish it DID run at <200MHz for
> battery life it; is only when I do something with a Mozilla product
> that I wish it ran at full speed...plus an extra zero...)

Possible, but what is awesome is that unexplainable fastness at
reboot (aleady set to max perf).
Well i made various test with Mozilla-FF ... it sucks so much, i
saw it set the cpu usage to 90% most of the time (on powermac /
tiger) but hey it s another topic :D

> I have a T2? laptop (t22? t23?  too lazy to go look, and your snipped
> dmesg doesn't give me enough to figure out if yours is the same as
> mine (and yes, it says something about my social life that I'd probably
> recognize the dmesg more than the model number)).  My A21 systems run
> fine on APM, but the T2? NEEDS to have APM disabled to use ACPI
> instead, otherwise the thing runs WAY too hot.

I have 3 T22 (2647 model number) .
I can provide the full dmesg of course (i mailed the entire one to
dmesg@ as usual)

> IF you are having the same problem, I can easily see it locking up
> WHEN it got too warm.

I saw it too (but i decided to remove the  pcmcia cage to add
another fan)

>  So instead of trying to force APM, try forcing
> ACPI, see if it runs better.

This stupid doesn't allow any ACPI that's why i disabled it @ukc.
I ll see if IBM released a new bios.

>  You certainly don't want to be shutting
> down power management completely, you need it to be working, and on
> that thing, you seem to need it working perfectly.

Well i saw this to solve the "sound to be crappy with pci power
managed" bug .

> Watching my T22 or T23 (whatever it is) running on ACPI was amazing --
> the hw sensors were rather comprehensive, and you could watch the temp
> drop as you could feel the thing cooling off...it was obviously MUCH
> happier.

Well , i ll give it a try , but it still would stay a PC :))
-> http://cisc.free.fr/mapmusee.htm welcome to my personnal diner
room where i kept various computers from an era where computer
did not mean pc ...

Cheers,
Johan

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had
a name of dmesg]