* Barry Friedman <friedman.ba...@gmail.com> [2009-10-12 19:52]:
> Hi, I'm looking at open source BGP implementations for possible use on
> a Linux-based system. I'm interested in OpenBGPd and I understand that
> it's part of OpenBSD but in the application that I'm looking at the
> only choice I am given is Linux. My questions are:
>
> Are there any projects to create an OpenBGPd implementation that is
> portable and separate from OpenBSD? I'm aware of quick-n-dirty "ports"
> like http://wiki.version6.net/openbgpd but was wondering more formal
> projects to create a full-featured and portable implementation that is
> more like a true open source project (ie. on a public source control
> server with open forums, mailing lists, bug reporting, frequent
> releases, etc).

I am not aware of any portable efforts.

I portable would have to be done OpenSSH-style. We don't want the
clutter in our tree.

the code already is in a "publich source control server" (any openbsd
anoncvs has it), the openbsd mailing lists suffice, as does the
openbsd PR database. and there's a release every 6 months, pretty
frequent i'd say.

> Is the current OpenBGPd development team an open team in which anyone
> may contribute patches, or is it a closed team?

patches are welcome from pretty much anybody. in fact, if you read the
changelog you'll find a lot of diffs from people withour openbsd cvs
accounts committed by claudio or me.

> If there was a porting effort, could the changes be incorporated into
> the existing project, or would a portable OpenBGPd need to be a
> separate project?

openssh style

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org