On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Ted Unangst <ted.unan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/4 Roger Schreiter <ro...@planinternet.de>:
>> it is like for any OS on SSD HD. Make sure, you are using
>> no swap partition!
>
> This is ridiculous advice.
>
>> And if you are using an application, which is writing
>> a lot of things into files, put the respective dirs into
>> ramdisks!
>
> Combined with this is even dumber.
>
> If you can't swap, you're already in trouble if you run into memory
> pressure.  So then you go and put the filesystem in RAM to make sure
> there's lots of extra memory pressure?

I'm with Ted on this one.  At the very least, stick a USB drive in and
use that for swap.  If things are going to write to SSDs a lot, get
two (if budget allows) and stripe/RAID-5 them - this actually does
wonders for increasing the lifespan of SSDs.

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
- Oh, why does everything I whip leave me?