On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 23:00:39 +0100
Roger Schreiter <ro...@planinternet.de> wrote:

> Jean-Frangois SIMON schrieb:
> > Is there any particular problem with installing OpenBSD on a SSD
> > HD ?  I
>
> Hello,
>
> it is like for any OS on SSD HD. Make sure, you are using
> no swap partition!
>
> And if you are using an application, which is writing
> a lot of things into files, put the respective dirs into
> ramdisks!
>
> We are running some embedded PCs with OpenBSD, which have the
> SSD HD completely write protected. All partitions are
> mounted read only, and /tmp, /dev and /var is put into
> ramdisks. Works fine.
>
> Regards,
> Roger.

That advice might have had some merit with 1GB Compact Flash drives ...

On eg. a 80GB SSD partition 60 and leave the rest empty. With that you
have _a lot_ of sectors to remap in case some fail. That will increase
the lifetime of the drive.
Usually flash fales gracefully, can't write but still read, so one would
be able to recover the data.
Flash is no mirical cure, having backups is still mandatory.
I don't expect my 2,5" drive in my laptop to last longer than the
stated 5 years the avarage MLC SSD gets quoted. All that banging around,
even turned off, in the laptop bag takes it's toll.
Harddrives that store critical data are swapped in the 2 to 3 year time
frame at latest, if they didn't fail on their own before and are
repurposed in less crucial systems like desktops. (...less potential
downtime, less power consumption, more peace of mind)

On the gp's topic, there is nothing special about SSD's that should
keep them from working like any other (guessing) SATA device.
("It doesn't work!" Isn't anywhere near a cry for help that warrants an
answer...)

- Robert