> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:15:25 -0500, Ted Unangst <ted.unan...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > As the manufacturers point out, 10,000 write cycles (basically the
> > minimum) means you can overwrite the flash once per day for 27 years.
> > That's a lot of IO for a soekris.
>
> It's possible to kill CF cards doing builds or similar. The wear leveling
> isn't that great.

I've been at this for a while, as you might guess.

I've only ever seen two CF cards die.  Around ten years ago, when they
came to the market.  I've used hundreds for various purposes.

I've run a zaurus on a CF card (replace the drive to make it faster and
run last longer).  They never die.

Same with SD and XD cards.  I've taken nearly a hundred thousand photos
and none of my cards are dead.

The cards just plain don't die, and apparently the meme won't either.