> i havent been using flash media as long as theo, but i will second this.
>
> i also figure it is cheaper for me to replace the media if it fails =
> (which hasnt happened yet) than spend the time tweaking the install to =
> not write to the media much. same applies to cutting the install down to =
> fit on small disks. maybe other people have less value associated with =
> their time than i do though :)

Do what I do:

     1) Install a full system to a CF, and configure it fully.

     2) dd the entire CF it to a file that you safe somewhere

     3) Learn how to forget about the file.

The landisk builds were done on a CF flash for about a year before
I replaced it with a Hitachi microdrive.

BTW, if anyone has any undamaged CF microdrives, I would like to have
some spares lined up.