Fred Crowson <fred.crow...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 12/16/09, Fred Crowson <fred.crow...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/16/09, Predrag Punosevac <punoseva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> Is anybody using Learning Management System ATutor? The only LMS I
> >> noticed in ports is Moodle which is terribly outdate. I looked into
> >> installation of ATutor and it seems to me that it is just of bunch of
> >> xhtml, java-script, and php files which have to up unloaded in the right
> >> directory and correctly linked with MySQL. Obviously ATutor also
> >> requires PHP module for Apache.
> >>
> >> Does anybody see the value of porting ATutor?
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Predrag
> >>
> >> P.S. Do people have any experience with Drupal as LMS? Does it have a
> >> grade-book?
> >
> > What's wrong with Moodle?  I know that the packaged version is behind the
> > current release but you can upgrade quite easily.
> >
> > And it runs nicely in the httpd chroot.
> >
> > Fred
>
> Sorry should have said have you asked on ports@ about bring moodle up
> to the latest version?
>
> Thanks
>
> Fred
> PS I would added to my own to-do list but I'm already behind on
> getting netbeans uptodate....

No, I have not asked on ports about updating. I contacted privately the
port maintainer who promised that he will update port pending on his
time. Fortunately, he happens to work on more interesting things than
updating Moodle. Since he is busy and I need the port I fell it is up
to me to send the diff which people will test.

Well guess what? I did little bit of research and asking around so
I prefer to spend my time on ATutor. That is just a personal preference.

The Moodle in present state is useless as it doesn't contain the
grade-book module. The grade-book has been introduced in Moodle one or
two releases after the Kev's port. Some of more interesting features
of Moodle according to my source are closed source and needs to be
purchased. I am all ears and I would love to be contradicted and
provided with other testimonials. ATutor feels lot simpler than Moodle
but I might be very wrong.

Most Kind Regards,
Predrag Punosevac