Chris Bennett wrote:
Daniel Ouellet wrote:
Hi,

Just a quick question to know how often the current packages are recompile when there is a lib increase or if they are not unless the packages itself get an update too.

Just wonder as I install current December 4, and install current package as well if MySQL no problem.

I tried yesterday and now MySQL packages complain of lib not found and needs the previous version as the one install in the current system.

Not a big deal, just a simple question to know if the packages are recompile based on lib changes or only on packages changes itself only. Not a big deal as I manage anyway, just wonder for my knowledge as I never really came across that yet so far and just wonder.

Other then that, best wish to all for the holidays!

Daniel

Packages that use a lib that changes need to reinstall to use the new correct lib.
Even if the package itself has no changes at all.

Both snapshots install on new system.

Are you using the correct package source?
Are you using pkg_add -ui -F update F updatedepends ?

Not an upgrade, but fresh install on new system with snapshots, not packages source as there isn't a need for that, snapshots packages are available as well. I just wonder how often they are recompile if they are at time other then when the package itself is updated due to lib changes may be or anything like that.

If you are using -current, then you can no longer use the -current package source until you update to latest -current. If you use -current, you need to stay put or upgrade everything together

Thanks for the feedback, but yes I know about using current and snapshots.

I did this on a brand new setup using snapshot for sparc64 and yes I was using the snapshots as well for packages too.

Install from

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/sparc64/

and packages from the same:

$ export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/`machine -a`/

and doing pkg_add mysql-server, will not install mysql server or client, but only the perl dependency and not the packages for mysql 5.1.41 and will give error for libc.so.53.0, major error even if it is present and will want to have libc.so.52.0 that is not present and is not on the install I did December 4 either for amd64.