On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 12:30 AM, STeve Andre' <and...@msu.edu> wrote:
> On Monday 28 December 2009 04:27:40 Johan M:son Lindman wrote:

>> > A problem is that $900 isn't going to get you a thinkpad and a
multi-year
>> > warranty.  If you stay away from nvidia video, just about all the
thinkpads
>> > are going to work with the ooccaisonal exception of the wireless card,
and
>> > I'm not sure that hasn't shrunk a bunch, the ones that don't work.  My
W500
>> > runs OpenBSD wonderfully.
>> >
>> > Looking at the Lenovo site I see a T500 with a 15" screen with *led*
back
>> > light, 160G disk 2.4G core two something, intel wifi and intel graphics
>> > for $849.  I don't know the status of the Intel graphics card, but you
>> > could get that, except it has a 1 year warranty.  There are discounts
>> > if you can get it through an educational organization, etc.
>> >
>> > --STeve Andre'
>>
>> If you get a Thinkpad stay clear of the SL300.
>> It's cheap crap.
>
> I suppose I should add to this.  In order to compete with
HP/Dell/Toshiba/Sony
> Lenovo had to come out with a low end series, the SL.  Having used one for
> few days I will say that the SL is better than its competitors, but still
not
> as good as the W or T series Thinkpads.  Note that you can increase the
price
> of an SL by 50% and get a 3 year on site warranty, so Lenovo will back it
up.

> The T, W and X series are the reliable units, with the X series being a
little
> weaker in the physical ruggedness department.  The R series seems to be
best
> for desktop usage, somewhere between the SL and T/W in terms of
reliability.
[...]

[OT]
I can contest the physical ruggedness thingy -- about an year and half
ago, I had a nasty fall, and my X60 banged on the concrete floor on
its lower right hand vertex. The fall was bad, because my backpack
took my entire weight when I slipped sideways and fell down, with the
Thinkpad vertext touching the ground first, followed by me. :-) It
only sustained a break on that corner, and on the LCD top corner, but
not a single functional issue has it developed since then.

Sure, I have no data to backup the ruggedness of T and W, but I call
*this* as reasonably rugged.
[/OT]

So yes, I also find the Thinkpads' to be a better option
aesthetically, but that's just me. I have been running OpenBSD on X60
with "standard" configuration, and every necessary thing works just
fine.

Ah, but don't get the X60 since it has "known" heating issues in most
configurations, where, due to poor ventilation, the wireless card
heats up a lot, and your right palm faces the heat! X61 tried to fix
it by having an additional fan (some configurations), and a exhaust
vent on the right side. You can stick a USB cooling fan underneath,
and it is okay.

-Amarendra