On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:31 +0200, "Ciprian Dorin, Craciun"
<ciprian.crac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 7:43 AM, J.C. Roberts <list-...@designtools.org>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:41:15 +0200 "Ciprian Dorin, Craciun"
> > <ciprian.crac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> B  B So I bet that the initial poster expected an (authoritative) answer
> >> that should have came in the form of an advice based on experience or
> >> at least something useful... (Not lmgtfy, which I'm sure he already
> >> did, but did not found a good enough answer (as in authoritative)...)
> >
> > You are missing the point. Virtualization has been discussed to death
> > for *YEARS* and all of it is in the misc@ list archives.
>
>     Sorry didn't knew... (I should have checked the mailing list...)
>

> > Here's the short version of those years of discussion:
> >
> > 1.) Since you can't trust the skill of most developers to write a
> > perfectly secure operating systems, trusting them to write a perfectly
> > secure software emulation of hardware is insane.
>
>     Sorry, but you guys from OpenBSD have proved that you <<can trust
> the skills of **some** developers to write an __supposed__ perfectly
> secure operating system>>, so why not trust other developers to write
> a __supposed__ secure software emulation with the help of hardware.
> (Let me say it more simply: we have trust in you, but why don't you
> have the disposition to trust in others?)

Very few have demonstrated that they can be trusted.
BTW, *any* virtualization software written for i386 is always going
to have the potential for compromise because of the inherent flaws
in that architecture. It was *not* designed with virtualization in mind.

> > 2.) If systems and application software runs fine on real hardware, but
> > fails to run on emulated/virtualized hardware, then the problem is in
> > the virtualization software. --In other words, take questions and
> > complaints to the vendor of your virtualization software.
>
>     Agree. This is the same as with software: if software runs
> perfectly on one version of OpenBSD, but not on another it does not
> mean that its the fault of the new version. (But Xen is not all about
> emulation, it cooperates with the guest kernel, so in this case the
> blame could be on both sides.)

Wrong. If it works on real hardware and fails in virtualization
the virtualization software is *always* to blame.

> > 3.) Many of the benefits you gain by running a stable and secure
> > operating system like OpenBSD are lost when you run it as a "guest" on
> > top of some other insecure "host" operating system.
>
>     This is only true if either:
>     * there is a security bug in the virtualization software (highly
> improbable, and maybe easibly fixed);

BWAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHH. Have you ever actually worked with any
virtualization software?
There have been many documented security bugs in every virtualization
software.
Try Securityfocus or your favorite search engine.

>     * you let the host operating system front the Internet; (but you
> could just filter out all the traffic from the exterior to the host,
> and use one of the guests (OpenBSD) as a gateway);
>

> > 4.) Most Virtualization Software fails to emulate hardware perfectly.
>
>     (Again we are not speaking of emulation, we are speaking of
> cooperation between the hypervisor and the guest kernel.)
>

> > 5.) Most Virtualization Software expects the "host" operating system to
> > have specific features, and hence, it's not easily portable, or it is
> > not portable at all.
> >
> > 6.) Most Virtualization Software wants to use fancy hardware features
> > and/or have direct access to hardware. If your vitualization software
> > is by-passing the restrictions enforced by the "host" operating system,
> > then the "host" operating systems is not able to do it's job.
>
>     No, (in general) the requirement of virtualization is not to
> bypass the restrictions imposed by OS to hardware.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAH! It *should* be a requirement, but rarely *is*.

> > Virtualization can be very useful in certain situations, yet you not
> > only need to fully understand and accept the implications and risks of
> > virtualization, but *you* also need to test it in *your* environment to
> > determine if it meets *your* requirements. Anything less is irrelevant!
>
>     One important use of virtualization software (like Xen for
> example), is to allow experimentation. For example I don't have 4
> pieces of hardware to be able to also host a Linux server (for
> personal stuff), experiment with OpenBSD or Plan9, and also give one
> of my friends a small VPN and download host. So I use Xen and turn one
> computer into many. (As you see it's not the security aspect I'm
> interested but the consolidation aspect...) (Yes very lame I know, but
> sometimes money does beat security...)

This is actually very true. But you need to be very aware of where
it does and where it doesn't.