From: "Daniel Malament" <b...@anonix.net>
To: "Peter Kay (Syllopsium)" <syllops...@syllopsium.com>
I think my first course of action would be to use DOS, or possibly OS/2, to override the disk geometry, unless the disk has data on it that can only be
accessed from OpenBSD. Yes, I know it's intellectually more fun to get
OpenBSD to do it, but for a one off with little practical future use I think
I'd use something else. DOS, OS/2 and OpenBSD can of course all be booted
from floppy, thus avoiding any early initialisation nastiness.

I'm not sure what you're describing here. Also, accessing the data from DOS still leaves the problem of moving it. Or perhaps I didn't make it sufficiently clear that the goal was to copy the data off the drive...

I'm just saying that some operating systems more of the era that the drive was
created in are able to specify (override) disk geometries.

Obviously moving the data off the drive requires another hard drive, floppies,
a network etc exactly the same as under OpenBSD.

Alternatively, can disktab be used? The documentation is not entirely transparent on this, but it does appear that disktab might be able to override BIOS parameters.

PK