Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> David Coppa wrote on Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 04:19:07PM +0100:
>
>> Maybe this can be an idea:
>> http://xyne.archlinux.ca/manpages/cronwhip
>
> Citing from that page:
>
> :: DESCRIPTION
> ::   Cronwhip runs cronjobs that would have been run in the time since the
> ::   last system shutdown. Cronwhip can be run at startup on systems that
> ::   are not constantly up to make sure that all cronjobs get run regularly.
>
> I think that solves the wrong part of the problem.

at, which is already in base, also runs overdue jobs upon startup.

> Running jobs at boot time (or half an hour later) has been proposed
> before, and the problem with that is:  it might overload the system
> exactly when you want to use it for some real work.

That's well recognized.  Some have first hand experience of the problem,
too.

> The maintenance(8) proposal solves this by only running the cheap
> parts half an hour after boot, such that maintenance doesn't
> seriously slow down your work.  In that scenario, skipping the cheap
> part in case it ran the day before is hardly worth the effort.

Running at any fixed interval after boot, 30 min above there, risks
shifting the problem a bit later.  Even with the random interval from an
earlier message, there is the risk of the administrative load coming at
a bad time or too much at the same time.

/Lars