On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:48:35 -0500
Ted Unangst <ted.unan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you sitting around feeling bored because you don't know how to
> help out OpenBSD?  Did your requests for info on where to start come
> back with unhelpful responses?  I've got just the thing for you: an
> idea!
>
> Cron runs the weekly update script every Saturday at 3:30am.  If you
> use a laptop or other desktop, your computer probably isn't on then.
> So the locate and whatis databases never get updated unless you run it
> by hand.
>
> So somebody should figure out a way to handle this for desktop
> machines.

Script called from cron via @reboot or rc.shutdown .
By default commented out. Mentioned in afterboot.

Check if daily, weekly or monthly need to be executed.
If nessasary the script asks if it should do its stuff, warns it might
take some time.
Default answer No, so a quick <Enter> resumes shutdown/reboot.
If no button has been pressed after $timeout (knob in script),
resume shutdown/reboot.
If user wants to do stuff, do what needs to be done and resume
shutdown/reboot.

Should take care of all the "on shutdown/reboot" scenarios;
like battery low or the mentioned unmount crytpo-fs clean now.
Impact can be minimized by lowering $timeout. Default timeout should be
long enough to read and understand the message.

Problem: Shutdown on systems where powerdown doesn't work and the user
would have to wait for the script to finish, to turn his system off.

Thoughts?

- Robert