On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 02:04:01PM +0100, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:29:15AM +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
> > I consider buying the Lexicon Alpha souncard:
> > http://www.lexiconpro.com/product.php?id=7
> >
> > Is someone using it sucessfully? I understand there
> > are "USB soundcards" out there not even appearing as
> > USB Audio class devices.
> >
> > If this card is not working properly with 4.6 or current,
> > can people recommend a good uaudio card?
>
> It depends on what you want to use it for.
>
> I use a m-audio mobilepre for recording and listening music;
> it's class compliant does 16-bit stereo at 48kHz, and the
> sound is excellent. It has a stereo preamp and a phantom
> power, which is handy.
>
> > I need it to be uaudio become the machine that will use it
> > does not have any possibility of holding a PCI card.
> >
> > More generally, what is the status of uaudio(4)?
>
> It works reliably, 24-bit encodings are not supported
> though; recently Jacob fixed various bugs, including a very
> annoying limitation of the block size.

uaudio supports (most of) USB 1.x/USB Audio 1.x standards.  there may
be issues with USB 2.x/USB Audio 2.x devices, however, these types of
devices aren't all that common yet, unles you're looking for high-end
equipment (> 6 channels), but there are some out there.  for example,
the newer m-audio fast tracks are USB 2.0.  creative/e-mu have some
USB 2.0 devices.  I have looked at USB 2.0 support for uaudio, and I have
ideas about how to proceed, but without the hardware in hand ... hmm
I see the e-mu 0202 is now ~$100, I should probably ask for one on
want.html.

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org