Ron McDowell wrote:
I'm relatively new to OpenBSD but have been working with FreeBSD for 15+
years and AT&T/USL before that.

Welcome.
Rebuilt the kernel, reboot, build World, reboot.
make clean && make depend && make install is used for kernels, and make build is used for userland. I do not know what this World is that you speak of.
cvs -d anon...@anoncvs3.usa.openbsd.org:/cvs up -rOPENBSD_4_6 -Pd
rebuilt kernel, reboot.
all good to this point.
make build fails with a ton of errors in the krb tree.
Without any information, nobody can help you, but if you do things correctly, you won't need help anyway.

I'm not as worried about the actual error...I'm sure it'll be fixed
soon and I'll rebuild in a day or two...but I'm concerned about the current state of the system, and what 'make world' actually does.

To borrow from Inigo Montoya, You keep using this 'world' word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

You are obviously trying to build -stable, so I doubt you will find it will be 'fixed' in a day or two, because there is nothing to fix. Really. You are doing something wrong, but we are back to that little 'Without any information' problem.
Does 'make world' build and install in subdirectories or does it build everything first, then install everything?
I am not entirely sure of the answer because the build output flies by too quickly. Either way, it does not matter. As long as you reboot into the new kernel, you are good. I generally reboot after building userland ('make build') to refresh any running daemons, or you can kill/restart them manually.
Is there a way to separately build everything, then install it all? That way I'd know that all's well before actually committing to my tree.

Short of manually building in each directory with 'make clean && make depend && make', then going back and doing a 'make install' in each subdirectory, I don't think so (but could be wrong). Why would you bother with this anyway?

Make sure you follow the directions carefully in http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html. It works. Really.

From what you have said, you can afford the downtime on your box to build from source, so you are probably not doing this on a production server. If that is the case, you are strongly urged to use -current and start from the most recent snapshot. Again, follow the directions in the faq. It works. Really. Just because the name -current does not have the word 'stable' in it, it does NOT imply that -current is not a stable OS. It will not fall down on you. (It does happen, but very rarely, and _that_ you will see 'fixed in a day or two'.) Getting all the cool goodies in -current (plus the goodies in the -current ports) is _well_ worth it. It is also worth mentioning that -current (aka 4.7-beta) is close enough to 4.7-release that you might as well use it anyway, so that the config changes (eg. the changed syntax in pf.conf) are not 'new' to you, and save yourself the aggravation of updating a 4.6 box in a short while. Don't let the word 'beta' fool you either. This isn't a product by a big vendor that you don't touch until at least service pack 1.

--

-RSM