On Mar 8, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Marc Espie wrote:

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 09:40:30AM -0600, Marco Peereboom wrote:
OMG!! running multiple daemons???  Wow why didn't I think of that??

I *love* OS overhead on misbehaving hardware emulation because it is
what "the industry" prescribes. Don't forget the 50% hit on I/O speed
because that is what every enterprise needs.  And lets not forget the
windows only license servers combined with "management" tools that also
run only on windows and IE.  Virtualization is sooooo awesome.

It's more that the current industry standard kind-of is apache, or "enterprise
shit" based on jakarta AND multiple boxen.

solutions to the web server issues, such as using fastci + nginx/ lighthttpd,
only start to become more or less well-spread.

And of course, all the time investment of the so-called sys-admins who learnt how to configure big apache/jakarta installations would go down the drain.

Can't have that. They need to protect their investment.

Like many things these days, the term enterprise has been co-opted by
those with an ulterior--and often opposite--motive. Enterprise should
mean reliable, scalable and simple (otherwise known as manageable). It
has become the opposite.

VMware makes a great toy on my macbook: I can build custom RPMs for
linuxy stuff, make release when I don't have a physical machine
available. In my "enterprise", we have some Dell 1850s and a 1950 and an
xserve. I "evaluated" ESXi thinking I'd be able to build VMs on my
macbook and then deploy them on the xserve or the dells. I decided not
to screw around with converting VMs from fusion to esxi and back. The
final straw was how to intelligently manage exsi without windows/
internet exploder.

We're currently running about 15 rails, php and coldfusion apps with the
number growing almost weekly. As much as possible, each app gets its own
VM (or two) and is proxied to an outward facing web server. I use
running xen on centos. Not my first choice, but it is OK behind pf. With
a little scripting, I can create a VM and deploy an app in under 5
minutes.

We are a small non-profit and that necessarily rules out "Enterprise"
solutions.