On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:42:12PM -0700, J.C. Roberts wrote:

> MODEL_: CRYSTAL Audio MJ-021-R00 CD32-3DI PnP-ISA
> FCC_ID: M6RCS32A3D
> CHIPS_: CS4232-KQ UTAYNP9611
>
> This is a Windows Sound System card, wss(4), and like other PnP cards,
> it inconveniently shows up as wss1 rather than wss0.
>
> It works perfect and sounds gorgeous (by comparison to the above).
>
> Unlike the various soundblaster cards above, this card does not give
> the expected error when using `aucat -l` namely:
>     aucat: <default>: can't open device
>
> No error is given, but it doesn't work. If `aucat -l -m play` is used,
> the card works extremely well.

from reading the driver, not all wss(4) are full-duplex.  considering
that full-duplex was broken on OpenBSD for quite some time (like,
probably most of the time wss(4) hardware was "common"), I wouldn't
be surprised if the driver just totally messes up attempts to use
full-duplex.

> The default volume in mixerctl is great (220,220), but mixerctl shows
> no "outputs" at all (save "monitor.monitor")?

yeah, that seems odd.  oh well.

thanks for testing!

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org