Some more info:

1. I checked the PSU with it plugged into a 5-ohm dummy load, and into
the Soekris.  With the dummy load, the voltage fell to 11.5 volts --
pretty crappy regulation, but still well within the Soekris' specs.
The dummy load is drawing over 2A at that voltage.

In the Soekris, the PSU puts out right at 12V.  I even put a scope on
it to check for ripple, but it was minimal.

2. The SparkLAN ral card gets a little warm while running, but not
bad.  I switched it to the miniPCI slot with no discernable (to the
back of my hand) difference in temperature, though what effect it had
on the Soekris I don't know.  Didn't seem to affect anything, though,
at least for the two days I ran it that way.  I moved it back to the
PCI carrier card, which is completely passive as I expected.

3. I started having difficulty getting my Windows 7 laptop to connect
at all.  It would associate, but not get an IP, and dhcpd on the
Soekris saw/logged nothing.  I thought back to the anomaly I saw in
the ifconfig output, where it said the card was in "11a" mode but
operating on channel 11, in the 2.4 GHz band (a "g" channel).  After
reading the ral man page I tried forcing it to "11g" mode with a "mode
11g" in the hostname.ral0; after I did that, the laptop connected
fine.

Why it worked before in that "disjoint" mode I don't know.  Maybe that
was the problem all along; I'll follow up in a few days to help future
Googlers.  [Side note: I tried using "11a" mode, but the transmit
power appears to be very weak with this card on a couple of different
11a channels I tried, at least relative to an access point I used to
have.  It's a disappointment, since being able to use the uncluttered
5 GHz band is one reason I bought this dual-band card.]

I'll wrap this up with a final shout out to the OpenBSD devs.  I had
to fix a relative's Dell Mini 9 netbook running Ubuntu over the last
few days, and had to get dirty at the command line because all of
Ubuntu's "user-friendliness" couldn't make up for Dell's poor choice
of vendors for some of its hardware.  All the myriad configuration
files, ifconfig/iwconfig/wpa_supplicant BS, and flakiness of the
Mini's Broadcom wifi card and its proprietary driver made OpenBSD's
simple, ifconfig-does-everything approach shine all the more brightly.