On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:12:08PM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > To beat a dead horse a little deader and make one final attempt to
> > help, I'll add a few remarks about a diff I committed last night.  The
> > diff had previously been posted to tech.
> >
> > On the learning front, the first question to ask might be "Why does
> > removing proc.h from uvm_map.h cause an error in sysctl.h when
> > compiling if_iwn.c?"  This immediately gets you four more questions,
> > what are proc.h, uvm_map.h, sysctl.h, and if_iwn.c?
> >
> > On the contributing front, I said in my first mail the diff was
> > incomplete and asked for help, but nobody did.  All you had to do to
> > find a bug was apply the patch and type make on an exotic
> > architecture.  And by exotic architecture, I mean i386 GENERIC.  Or
> > amd64.  Actually, any and every kernel config other than i386 MP.  So
> > when people can't/don't/won't type make, it doesn't inspire much
> > confidence that they will be able to modify the code and then type
> > make.
> >
> > Followup questions for the advanced contributor:  Why did vfs_biomem.c
> > fail to compile except with an MP kernel?  What was the obvious fix
> > for SP?  What then broke when Theo tried it?  Why did we commit the
> > gross workaround?  What's the right solution?
> >
> > In the last month, I mailed 8 patches to tech.  They were in areas as
> > various the kernel to userland to documentation.  All of them featured
> > fairly obvious followups for someone to build upon.  Not a single one
> > earned a response from anyone who's not already a committer.
>
> I concur.  In summary, everyone offering help is lying; fact is they
> are unwilling to get off the couch.

I appreciate the sentiment, but this isn't true. How many new developers
have been added over the past few of years? How many patches have been
taken from non-comitters? Never enough, but plenty to clearly show how it
works.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchand...@stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/