Teemu,

Are you sure the ftp server you are connecting to supports active and
passive ftp? You may want to try your test against ftp.openbsd.org.
This is a linux machine behind a pf firewall (openbsd v4.7) using
ftp-proxy. Both active (PORT) and passive listings seem to work.

$ ftp ftp.openbsd.org
Connected to openbsd.sunsite.ualberta.ca.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 0  0  512 May  4  2009 etc
drwxr-xr-x  3 0  0  512 Jul 21  2009 pub
226 Transfer complete.

$ ftp -p ftp.openbsd.org
Connected to openbsd.sunsite.ualberta.ca.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (129,128,5,191,214,178)
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 0  0  512 May  4  2009 etc
drwxr-xr-x  3 0  0  512 Jul 21  2009 pub
226 Transfer complete.

Was this the problem?

--
   Calomel @ https://calomel.org