Jacob Meuser wrote:
> > On 5/06/2010, at 7:31 AM, Nick Holland wrote:
a patch to the upgrade guide would be wrong.
The problem is the patching process (a special case of the userland build
process) assumes a clean obj dir.  This has nothing to do with upgrades.  If
you try to rebuild the same userland utility more than once for /any/
reason without clearing the obj dir, you can run into problems.  Clearing
the obj directory as part of the upgrade is like flushing your toilet based
on the date -- may help, but after a while, things start to stink.  It isn't
the general (or proper) solution.

> I'm still curious how anything left in /usr/obj can be anything
> but a possible problem after updating system binaries and sources
> to a new release.  especially for people who are just "following
> the directions as they are written."
>
> --
> jake...@sdf.lonestar.org

ANYTHING left in /usr/obj will be a possible problem.
ANYTHING left ANYWHERE will be a possible problem anytime anything assumes
(or has/likes to assume) that it is working with a clean slate.
"Fixing" minor problems (and bending everything else out of shape)
does NOT make for better systems.
For me, I prefer things (upgrade/update/whatever) that do as little
collateral damage as possible. (And anytime you want/need to find out
what went wrong you do NOT clean up everything first.)