I have owned a couple of T41p bought on Ebay and then a pair of T42
(bought reconditioned from IBM), and these have had *way* too many
"screen suddenly goes blank and never comes back" or "screen goes
grey over a 1-2-second period and never comes back" hardware failures,
each requiring a new motherboard and typically ~3 weeks downtime.
(About 10 days ago *both* of my T42 died this way, 24 hours apart.
As Winnie-the-Pooh would say, "Bother!".)

For me, the key requirements for a laptop are
* thinkpad (keyboard feel etc)
* touchpad
* at least 1400x1050 screen resolution
* NOT widesreen
* 14" or 15" screen
which seems to point to T40 or T60 series.

Are the T60 series any more reliable than the T40 series?

--
-- Jonathan Thornburg <jth...@astro.indiana.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA