On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Christopher Dukes <pak...@pr.neotoma.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 14:30 -0400, Joe McDonagh wrote:
>> "If your Sun fails" <-- that's a big IF. It's approaching a possibility
>> of 0 in my experience.
>>
>> If performance isn't an issue and stability is your chief goal, none of
>> this hardware is as stable as a Sun.
>
> Not quite my experience.
> In 2001 I worked at a place with a lot of used Sun hardware courtesy of
> Fujitsu layoffs (Sparc 20s, Ultra 5s).
> Entirely too many fried ethernet ports on the sparc 20s.
> And it took too many iterations to find a sparc 20 that wouldn't crash
> and burn while building OpenBSD from source.
> A fidgety developer kicking an ultra 5 from a | orientation to a _
> orientation would reliably destroy the power supply and harddrives.
> On the bright side, I could repair the ultra 5s with power supply and
> drives scavenged from eMachines with ALI motherboards with the wonderful
> DMA that shoved garbage into memory for every OS we tried on them.

I had a U10 with a Gig of ram that would crash during building. It
turned out to be a bad RAM module.

I'm with Henning though.  I've yet to see a dead Netra, stacks and
stacks of e220r/e420r's that haven't ever had any issues.  I used to
have a bunch of the e220r series that had like 4 years (maybe more)
worth of dmesg's in the output because they were never powered off,
only restarted for upgrades.

-B