Lists Account wrote:

> First post to misc. I'd like to create an OpenBSD based router + wifi
> access point. I thought I might buy myself one of these for Christmas:
[Stuff about PC and ath deleted]

> Any suggestions on how to go forward here? Is the project feasible and
> which of these components would be best?

> From my perspective it would be useful if the information on the support
> modes (BBS/AP) were to be added into the tables in those man pages that
> already enumerate the supported chipsets/bus-interfaces/bands/channels.

Most of the man pages say generally whether a driver does AP mode.  If
there is an exception they pick out the chipsets it is true for, but
usually if a driver support AP mode, then all the chipsets work in AP mode.

I use a ralink PCI card I got from monoprice.  I had issues at one point
that were related to a bug in the hardware.  A patch in the 4.7 or 4.8
timeframe fixed it.  Been very reliable since then.

That said, my card is just b/g.  And thus far, there is no 802.11n
support in OpenBSD.  But it supports A, and honestly most of the 802.11n
stuff skips the 5Ghz support to be cheaper, and that is really where the
nicest wireless is.  If/when I replace my card, it'll be for something
that supports 5Ghz.

In terms of power savings, I haven't had issues with that.  Most drivers
you *can* turn it off.  But honestly, it usually defaults to off,
because not all APs do support it, and it causes *huge* problems with a
mismatch.

--Kurt

--
Kurt Mosiejczuk
Software Engineering

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including
attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
information.