On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 03:33:26PM -0800, James Hozier wrote:
> The only issue I have with running my own mail server is that I can receive
> e-mails, but for whatever reason I cannot send out e-mails. I'm assuming it's
> because mail servers are denying e-mails from my IP or something since I'm on
> a residential connection. It doesn't even reach the Spam box, just doesn't
> show up at all even though a test with telnet says the mail was successfully
> sent out.

I believe it's an issue with DNS records. If I recall correctly, you need to
ask your ISP to change some DNS records. I don't recall what needs to be done,
perhaps somebody else can clarify this.

At the risk of sounding like an advertisement, dyndns.com's "outbound mailhop"
service gives you an SMTP server you can send email from: it's the one I use
and I've so far had no problems sending email.

Patsy