On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, James Hozier wrote:

>The only issue I have with running my own mail server is that I can
>receive e-mails, but for whatever reason I cannot send out e-mails. I'm
>assuming it's because mail servers are denying e-mails from my IP or
>something since I'm on a residential connection. It doesn't even reach
>the Spam box, just doesn't show up at all even though a test with
>telnet says the mail was successfully sent out.

Do you have a static IP address?  Many spam-filters drop messages from
any IP address known to be in a dynamically-assigned pool.

Do you have reverse-DNS properly set up?  That is, if your IP address is
A.B.C.D, is there a 'D.C.B.A.in-addr.arpa PTR <FQDN>' DNS record (where
<FQDN> is the fully-qualified domain name for your mailserver, e.g.,
mail-server.example.com.)?  Dropping messages from systems without this
is also popular.

Also, some ISPs block or divert all outgoing traffic from their
customers to port 25.

Running my own mailserver from my home has worked for me for 15+ years.

        Dave

--
Dave Anderson
<d...@daveanderson.com>