We waited too long to replace the failed drive, so there were errors on both
drives in the mirror, so the data was not completely restored.  Backups were
not as recent as we would have liked.  Since the drive didn't completely fail,
it seemed worth trying to retrieve some data where possible from it.

1.  Is it normal for the operating system to freeze when accessing damaged
sectors - even if the only access is via a raw, unmounted partition?  This
seems like a hardware problem to me, except that errors are logged to
/var/log/messages as I described in the original post.

2.  What utilities will show which sectors are occupied by specific files?
Ideally I could specify a range of sectors and a list of files using those
sectors would be provided.  It would also be nice to specify files and be shown
which sectors they occupy.  I've heard of the Coroner's Toolkit; are there any
other recommendations?