On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:16 AM, Gordon Ferris
<gordon.fer...@wfengineering.com> wrote:
> 1.  Is it normal for the operating system to freeze when accessing damaged
sectors - even if the only access is via a raw, unmounted partition?  This
seems like a hardware problem to me, except that errors are logged to
/var/log/messages as I described in the original post.

Yes.  It may not be desirable, but the retry code basically puts
everything else on hold while it's running.  It is a hardware problem
the operating system is trying to overcome.

> 2.  What utilities will show which sectors are occupied by specific files?
 Ideally I could specify a range of sectors and a list of files using those
sectors would be provided.  It would also be nice to specify files and be
shown which sectors they occupy.  I've heard of the Coroner's Toolkit; are
there any other recommendations?

I don't know of any.  If I needed to do something like this, I'd
probably start with fsck_ffs and modify as needed.  Actually, that's
what fsdb does already.  You probably just need it to print a little
more info and to walk the tree automatically.