On 2011-01-27, Rod Whitworth <glis...@witworx.com> wrote:
> I'm whacked and obviously missing something BUT I did ask a guy who
> wrote a seriously good TCP/IP course years ago.
>
> Scenario:
> Datacentre.
> 2 Soekris 5501s with a 4 port card = 4 * vr + 4 * sis
> One is active bgpd, other is warm standby.
> vr0 on #1 is 192.168.1.1
> vr0 on #2 is 192.168.1.2
> There is a cable directly connrcted #1 to #2
> I have been syncing config files over that port<--cable->--port for
> ages.
> Suddenly it doesn't work. I can't ping either way. ifconfig vr0 on
> either shows same media, active, correct IP and netmask.,
>
> Tech went to DC and reports:
> Verified no pings work on that network.
> Neither can he ping either unit from a PC  with an IP in the
> 192.168.1.0/24 range.
> Changing cable changed nothing else.
> tcpdump on each end showed expected aro who-has requests without
> answer.when pinging on the tcpdump box. No sign of activity at t'other
> end's tcpdump.
> pf is not running.
>
> This is OT because, although we are running OpenBSD and OpenBGPd it
> really isn't a problem I could ascribe to the OS.
>
> OTOH I don't know where there are cluier network people....
>
> Help?
> A 4*whatever is welcome. :-)

Our vr(4) driver has been known to wedge at times, usually bouncing
the interface makes it recover (ifconfig vr0 down; ifconfig vr0 up).

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/pci/if_vr.c.diff?r1=1.106;r2=1.107
fixes one problem (and my vr(4) has been stable since then), but PR 6546
suggests that there are other problems which haven't been found yet.