On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 06:56:37PM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Gilles Chehade <gil...@poolp.org> wrote:
> >
> > I've never seen such a crap bug report, there's not a single information
> > that we could possibly use to figure out what the issue is and help you.
>

> Yes, I know. The purpose of writing "I'm not sure how I should even go
> about debugging this to be constructive, as it's running on a mission
> critical production server." was to signify to you, "getting the correct
> information is very hard for me. How can I capture things on a production
> box?"

Providing the output from `top` for your smtpd user, uname & the version
of smtpd you're using is the very least you should provide if dealing w/
a memory leak. With your report we don't even know where to start.

Providing mail.log + smtpd -dv -T <sometrace>, helps us get things fixed
faster, and they can be enabled / disabled at runtime through smtpctl.

But don't get it wrong, the harsh answer wasn't because of missing info,
it was because of the tone you used in your mail.

One last advice: don't run a *devel* snapshot on a *critical server*
unless you know how to fix or cope with eventual bugs. There's a
reason why we have stable releases and why we ask people to *test*
our snapshots... it's because they may have bugs.

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg