On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 08:39:52AM +0100, John Cox wrote:
> Hi
>
> >>That's not correct no, I get plenty of TLS 1.0 trafic and it has been
> >>the case for many years
> >
> >To parrot this on all of my various instances OpenSMTPD and not I get tons
> >of TLS 1.0 and SSLv3 traffic, I wish I didn't but it still happens. Heck
> >every now and again I see SSLv2 attempts which for most of my instances get
> >killed. I haven't seen one on my OpenSMTPD instance yet but its only time.
> >But seriously for email any transport encryption is better than none and
> >OpenSMTPD's default should be the best way to handle opportunistic TLS
> >where you always try to use the highest protocol version supported with the
> >best ciphers supported, and there shouldnt need to be a knob for it.
>
> Whilst I agree with what you are saying for general purpose mail
> servers, I can see applications where enforced encryption levels are
> worth having.  I can see that some company gateways, where they know
> all of the other endpoints, might wish to enforce appropriate
> encryption as everybody who should be talking to that MTA should be
> capable of it and anything else is therefore spam or hacking.  This is
> particularly plausible on any link where TLS or SSL is already
> mandatory.

please define "enforced encryption levels" ?

pretty much anyone tweaking ssl_ciphers will actually downgrade security
or/and break interop with other servers. some people may know how to tie
things further for their specific use-cases but the minute we add a knob
other people will start using it and shoot themselves in the foot.

At the time being we're looking to is to have the bul0k of users safe by
default and we're looking for more:

   https://twitter.com/Mayeu/status/474109854651785216

"the magic of OpenSMTPD, you do no TLS configuration and you're graded A
     by default <3  (test here: starttls.info)"

Im not saying that this will hold true forever but at this point in time
I would prefer that we dont have ssl_ciphers and that any improvement we
do is made to the default until we exhausted all possibilities to do so.

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg