On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 08:47:24PM -0800, Seth wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 20:18:04 -0800, Edgar Pettijohn
> <ed...@pettijohn-web.com> wrote:
> >>Still need to solve the problem of scheduling that big morning dump.
> >>
> >>Of email.
> >>
> >cron
>
> That's not really going to work because the power-up time could vary between
> 2-4 hours. The mail needs to flow as soon as possible after powering on the
> local server. What would be ideal is for the relaying server to probe the
> local server every five minutes. As soon as an active SMTP port is
> discovered on the local server, the relay sends all queued emails.

I was wondering what if your "local" server is the primary MX and
then your "public" server a backup MX. That way, whenever your local
server is online the mails end up directly in it and your backup
server automatically checks for primary server availability and
routes accumulated mails once the primary MX is up.