On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 21:11:52 -0800, Sunil Nimmagadda <su...@nimmagadda.net> wrote:

I was wondering what if your "local" server is the primary MX and
then your "public" server a backup MX. That way, whenever your local
server is online the mails end up directly in it and your backup
server automatically checks for primary server availability and
routes accumulated mails once the primary MX is up.

That's a good point. The VPS is configured as the sole MX host in this case because it runs OpenBSD + PF + Spamd + BGP, and serves as the spam choke-point. http://bgp-spamd.net/

To date, it has not been possible to stand up an OpenBSD host on premises to perform the same role, although I am pushing in this direction.

Another idea I had was provision a low power embedded *nix device running OpenBSD/OpenSMTPD on premise that runs 24/7, and stores the 'night's catch' of emails locally on a flash device etc.

When the main email server comes on line in the morning, startup scripts or whatever grabs or syncs the 'night's catch' in maildir format and transfers the whole bundle to the main 'local' email, server which runs Dovecot IMAP or some groupware like Zarafa.