On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 11:44:04AM +0200, Joerg Jung wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> [...]
>
> I know about clamsmtp, spampd etc. which check/tag *after* queuing. But
> since I prefer not to annoy my users with quarantine (web-interfaces),
> ***SPAM*** subjects, spam folders, or similar things I want to ask: Is
> there any chance to filter/check for spam *before* queueing with
> opensmtpd?

Well, one way would be to put spampd in front of OpenSMTPD and have it
process all mail before passing it to the MTA.

> Side note: It looks like some lawyers say, once it is queued
> one is not allowed to delete (silently).

Yes, the goal of opensmtpd is to take all necessary steps to ensure that
mails don't get lost so once in queue, it HAS to be delivered somewhere,
or a mailer daemon has to be generated.

> With my old milter setup (spam) mail is blocked by sendmail if
> spamassassin/clamav says so and *not* queued.

Well, you could write a filter to reject the message if the body
contains a header set by spamassassin/clamav and achieve the same.

> I do not need to stick with spamassassin, switching to dspam,
> mailscanner, rspamd, whatever would be okay, as long as I find an easy
> way to scan before queueing. In fact I played with dspam as it does not
> rely on additional daemons like clamsmtp and spampd and can speak LMTP
> directly with opensmtpd (while also calling clamav on its own). Thus
> this would really simplify the setup. But for the queueing I need
> something like:
> "accept from any for domain <domains> virtual <users> && no queue &&
>     relay via lmtp://127.0.0.1:2525"
> while returning the error code of LMTP session back to sender... I guess
> this is not possible?
>
> Side question: it is not possible to relay via LMTP to local unix domain
> socket instead of IP socket, right? e.g.:
> ... relay via lmtp:///var/dspam/dspam.sock

only when using "deliver to lmtp" (see man smtpd.conf)

> I know about opensmtpd-extras and have seen the filters, but these are
> not yet enabled and ready for production, right? Writing my own filter
> to check spam (similar as milter does) seems to be possible and I think
> I have the C skills to handle this. But since this is a production
> server I need something stable, e.g. can not rewrite the filter every n
> months to adjust the needs for the (not yet enabled) unstable API.

true

> I also know about spamd, but that is not really an option for now as the
> server speaks v6 and STARTTLS, moreover I have legacy users which AUTH
> on port 25 as well. This does not play well with spamd.
> I also scan outgoing mails, as I really do not trust the users.
>
> Any hints and insights are welcome, maybe someone has a similar setup?

I don't ;-)

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg