On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 07:56:25PM +0600, Denis Fateyev wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Gilles Chehade <gil...@poolp.org> wrote:
>

> > Would your distribution be affected if LibreSSL became a requirement ?
> >
> > OpenSMTPD is starting to rely on LibreSSL-specific functions that will
> > force us to go through painful hacks to maintain that dual SSL support
> > and I'd like to know if switching to a LibreSSL-only mode is an option
> > at this point or still too early.
>

> It would be a problem in RHEL (and its derivatives like CentOS, Scientific,
> Oracle, et al), and Fedora.
> There were no plans of implementing Libressl support before, and there are
> no plans to do it now.

I don't really get this, maybe there's a misunderstanding:

I understand that RHEL and others don't intend to switch to LibreSSL for
their default SSL library and I'm not suggesting they should, this isn't
our call, it's unreasonable to assume every system will switch and there
is no debate about this.

What I'm wondering is if there's any reason that would prevent RHEL, for
example, to package LibreSSL in the same way that libasr was packaged so
that OpenSMTPD could specifically depend on it.

The system would keep its default SSL library.

> As you might realize, linking Libressl statically is also not an option.

Yes, obviously I'm not advocating this ;-)

> In my opinion, there is no point to forcibly depend on Libressl unless big
> commercial players are interested in it.

Actually there are very strong rationales for this, I'll if you want but
the bottom line:

- we're currently trying to support OpenSSL and LibreSSL as being the
  same library and we're hitting corner cases that require us to hack
  around detection, hack around compat and backport parts of LibreSSL
  code in standalone files just so OpenSSL keeps working.

- we're facing cases of OpenSSL-induced #ifdefs because depending who
  built it, it lacks AES_GCM, it lacks SNI, it lacks this and that. I
  have broken SNI support at least once because of this.

- ultimately, we want to get rid of the OpenSSL historical interface
  and rely on LibreSSL's libtls which will make TLS code readable. I
  think we can all agree that it's scary that the most dangerous bit
  of code in OpenSMTPD is also the less readable and the most error-
  prone, we should take some steps towards changing this...

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg