On Sun, Oct 09, 2016 at 02:23:51PM +1300, James Pole wrote:
> Hello,

Hello,

> I have observed that OpenSMTPD hangs when you try to deliver a message with
> an empty body (i.e. when the dot appears on the line directly after the
> headers).

I can reproduce and it is indeed a bug, however this does not really hang
OpenSMTPD, it "hangs" the session which sent the empty body until it
times out or disconnects.

I can establish a session in parallel with another client and get message
accepted and delivered.

Can you confirm you can too ?

> This can be observed by a simple telnet to OpenSMTPD.

Reproduced successfully.

> Just wanted to check with misc@ for ideas on whether this is a bug with
> OpenSMTPD before I forward to bugs@.

This is a bug indeed, the message should be rejected with a message
similar to this one:

550 5.7.1 Delivery not authorized, message refused: Message is not RFC 2822
compliant

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg