Hello list.

I'm trying to configure OpenSMTPD 5.9.2 on a FreeBSD server but I'm seeing
anomalous behaviour with one of my listen directives.

The directive in question is:

  listen on egress tls-require hostname mail.mydomain.net

My only other listen directive is usual localhost one.

The smtpd.conf man page states: "tls-require may be used to force clients
to establish a secure connection before being allowed to start an SMTP
transaction".

I ran a telnet test against the server to see how the forcing of TLS takes
place, but it didn't happen.  I was able to manually submit a message to
OpenSMTPD without TLS as follows:

$ telnet a.mx.mydomain.net 25
Trying xxxx:xxx:xx:xxx::x:xxxx...
Connected to a.mx.mydomain.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.mydomain.net ESMTP OpenSMTPD
HELO jmann-mbp
250 mail.mydomain.net Hello jmann-mbp
[IPv6:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx],
pleased to meet you
MAIL FROM:<jmann@jmann-mbp>
250 2.0.0: Ok
RCPT TO:<ja...@mydomain.net>
250 2.1.5 Destination address valid: Recipient ok
DATA
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself