> I'm not familiar with what opensmtpd-table-passwd is trying to achieve.
> One explanation I found was it's supposed to read /etc/passwd.

It is defined in [1]. It reads the file set in the smtpd.conf. In that case it
is /etc/mail/passwd, in my config it is /etc/smtpd/passwd. That file seems to
be fine though as dovecot is reading it and the passwords are encrypted as
intended.

> If it isn't to inconvenienced you could create a separate credentials
> table that doesn't depend on an extra-package.
> https://man.openbsd.org/table#Credentials_tables

That way I would have to maintain two files and keep the passwords in sync. I
would like to avoid that.

[1]: https://www.opensmtpd.org/faq/example1.html