> On 5. Nov 2017, at 09:03, Markus Cisler <mrksc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey there,
>
> I decided to redo my personal mail setup to use a passwd-file instead of
> system users. I started with a simple config based on [1]. Dovecot works fine
> with the passwd-file provided, opensmtpd crashes on start.
>
>       debug: smtp: will accept at most 2043 clients
>       setup_proc: klondike done
>       debug: init private ssl-tree
>       passwd[7508]: warn: table-proc: bogus data

This message comes from smtpd itself, not from the table-passwd.

Several reasons can lead to this, most likely guess is that your passwd
file is not readable/could not be opened by smtpd.
Double check path in config and permissions of the file.

Try starting: "smtpd -dv -Tall” - maybe you gain more detailed error then.