On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 04:35:41PM +0100, lvdd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to convert an existing smtpd configuration to the new syntax
> in 6.4 snapshot from last week or so and have a question about that.
>
> The configuration has been converted but not actively tested yet. All I
> do right now is 'smtpd -f /etc/mail/newconfig -n' and I am getting the
> following reply back:
>
> /etc/mail/smtpd.conf_new:30: table "unwantedsenders" may not be used for
> mail-from lookups
> /etc/mail/smtpd.conf_new:32: table "vdomains" may not be used for 'for'
> lookups
> /etc/mail/smtpd.conf_new:34: table "vdomains" may not be used for 'for'
> lookups

[...]
> table aliases file:/etc/mail/aliases
> table vusers file:/etc/mail/vusers
> table vdomains file:/etc/mail/vdomains
> table unwantedsenders file:/etc/mail/unwantedsenders
> table recipients file:/etc/mail/recipients

I don't know what's in your tables but file tables but see man table(5),
it is very likely that you're not using the proper format, smtpd detects
that the table is not of the proper type and warns you that it can't use
them.

Can you show the content of table vdomains for instance ?

> So, why do I get a message that the tables 'may' not be used? I assume
> they will be used, but why the message? Are they deprecated? Another
> change coming?

I may be wrong but very likely your tables are incorrect.

> On a general note I am having trouble getting my head around the new
> config style. It was possible for me using the method outlined by Gille
> in his blog post. But if I had to start from scratch - I would likely give up.
>
> The problem for me is that I am not constantly working on the
> smtpd config. So I forget things and have to work hard to get my head
> back how this is supposed to work. This new config style doesn't make it
> easier in my opinion. I will stick with opensmtpd for now and probably
> see the things differently in a year. Let's see...

I genuinely don't understand this.

The logic is essentially the same except that where you used to have the
action part of the rule, you know have the action declared and the rules
refer to them:

    accept [...] deliver to mbox

    action bleh mbox
    match [...] action bleh

You write your rules the same way, they are evaluated in the same order,
there are a few minor keyword changes but quite frankly I don't see what
is so complex.

Anyways, the change was mandatory to move forward so there's not much we
can do about it and there will be changes in the future again, hopefully
not too soon, because we want to continue moving forward.

--
Gilles Chehade                                                 @poolpOrg

https://www.poolp.org                 tip me: https://paypal.me/poolpOrg