Hi Gille,

thanks for taking the time to answer personally.

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 17:01:07 +0100
Gilles Chehade <gil...@poolp.org> wrote:

> I don't know what's in your tables but file tables but see man table(5),
> it is very likely that you're not using the proper format, smtpd detects
> that the table is not of the proper type and warns you that it can't use
> them.
>
> Can you show the content of table vdomains for instance ?

How is a facepalm working in ascii? Of course it was the tables! I just
created emtpy files while the originals were lying in a subfolder -
I forgot to copy them in place :-(
Now everything is fine

> I genuinely don't understand this.
>
> The logic is essentially the same except that where you used to have the
> action part of the rule, you know have the action declared and the rules
> refer to them:
>
>     accept [...] deliver to mbox
>
>     action bleh mbox
>     match [...] action bleh
>
> You write your rules the same way, they are evaluated in the same order,
> there are a few minor keyword changes but quite frankly I don't see what
> is so complex.
>
> Anyways, the change was mandatory to move forward so there's not much we
> can do about it and there will be changes in the future again, hopefully
> not too soon, because we want to continue moving forward.

I probably didn't make it clear enough. I understand and support that
the project is moving on and adjustments need to be made because of
technical difficulties or because otheriwse filters would be entirely
impossible with the existing codebase.
It is also possible that I will be embarrassed in a year from now to
have written this mail because it might just click in my brain and
everything will fall into place in there.
Maybe it is just the reason that right now I don't have the time to put
my head into this but have to, and it is not going quickly enough - who
knows.

Please don't read too much into. I just wanted to let you know that
right now I find the new way more difficult. If this new mailserver is
just running and behaving like the old one, I am going to be happy
again :-)

Peace
Lars