On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 10:00:42AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi folks,

Hi,

> I wonder what became of
>
>       https://github.com/OpenSMTPD/OpenSMTPD/issues/534
>
> ? IMHO this issue was closed way too early. Are all OS distros
> happy with opensmtpd going libressl-only? Will the rest follow?

Ticket was created in 2015, we're in 2019, it was not closed too early.

To put it blunt, there's no way I can make all distros happy, and in the
meantime I get to do the additional work of trying to satisfy all of the
different openssl builds, some distros using very old versions that lack
features we are forced to ifdef (ie: SNI, AES-GCM, ...), some others are
even using different configure flags which end up creating very slightly
different libraries carrying the same version, ...

I'm no longer interested in having to cope with that, having ifdefs that
make the code less readable and create versions of smtpd that I will not
be able to properly test because _my_ version never enters an ifdef.

My target is now LibreSSL with all of the features we need, and there is
no specific code to accomodate OpenSSL. If we can _also_ support OpenSSL
by writing code which works for both, I'll happily adapt code so that it
makes both happy but I will not support OpenSSL-specific bits anymore.

I will also make it clear that we only support the LATEST LibreSSL, that
means that I will not accomodate all versions of LibreSSL either.

If you have diffs that allow OpenSMTPD to build with latest LibreSSL and
latest stock OpenSSL (no weird enable/disable configure flags) and which
only achieve so through use of common APIs, I'll accept them happily.

--
Gilles Chehade                                                 @poolpOrg

https://www.poolp.org                 tip me: https://paypal.me/poolpOrg