Hello,

I have just released the minor version 6.6.3p1 of OpenSMTPD.

Following the advisory from Qualys late January, I have discussed various
mitigation on my blog:

    https://poolp.org/posts/2020-01-30/opensmtpd-advisory-dissected/

Several were implemented in OpenBSD -current and this new releases back-ports
them to the portable version.

With this release:

- OpenSMTPD now declares maildir instead of mbox in its default configuration
- the mbox delivery method now uses a specific code path for execution with
fixed parameters
- the mbox delivery method no longer requires privileges in the daemon
- the lmtp delivery method no longer receives sender/recipient on the command
line

Other mitigation will be back-ported as they become available and new releases
will be issued to include them.

In the mean time, I highly recommend that you:

- upgrade to this version to reduce the attack surface.
- stop using mbox is possible.
- stop delivering mail to root but create an alias to an unprivileged user
instead.

The release can be downloaded from our website:

    https://www.opensmtpd.org/archives/opensmtpd-6.6.3p1.tar.gz

or from Github:

    https://github.com/OpenSMTPD/OpenSMTPD/releases/tag/6.6.3p1