I have set up a new instance of OpenSMTPD 6.0.3-portable (the packaged version
on Ubuntu 18.04) servicing the same end user on two domains, with two inboxes.
The problem arises when I try to send an email to myself
"johnsm...@example.com" to "johnsm...@example.com". I get an Invalid Recipient
error. I have included my configuration below:

# cert valid for both domains
pki example.com certificate "/etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/fullchain.pem"
pki example.com key "/etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/privkey.pem"

listen on eth0 tls pki example.com mask-source
listen on eth0 port 587 tls-require pki example.com auth mask-source
listen on lo port 10029 tag dkim mask-source

table aliases { "johnsm...@example.com" => johncom, "johnsm...@example.net" =>
johnnet }
table domains { "example.com", "example.net" }

accept for local alias <aliases> deliver to lmtp "/var/run/dovecot/lmtp"
accept from any for domain <domains> virtual <aliases> deliver to lmtp
"/var/run/dovecot/lmtp"
accept tagged ! dkim for any relay via smtp://127.0.0.1:10028
accept tagged dkim for any relay pki example.com

Strangely it does work if I send mail to "john...@example.com". Sending from
example.com to example.net also works. sending from example.net to example.com
does not work, "Invalid Recipient". Sending from example.net to example.net
works. It appears only the first domain has a problem where mail from either
account can't be sent to the first one.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Erik