> Strangely it does work if I send mail to "john...@example.com"

This, I think, is the smoking gun. When you send mail to yourself, it matches
the "accept for local" rule rather than the "accept from any for domain" rule,
so the expansion is based on "alias <aliases>" rather than "virtual <aliases>".

My stab in the dark for why johnsm...@example.net->johnsm...@example.net works
is that the server believes its mailname is example.com, so example.net does
not match the local rule.

For debugging these types of configurations, it's often quite illuminating to
trace expand and lookup (smtpd -F -T expand -T lookup).

Hope this helps.

Simon