> On Apr 5, 2020, at 08:20, Thomas Bohl <opensmtpd-misc-64...@aloof.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Let' s assume I have 3 virtual users A, B and X on my domain
>> I want to receive mail for all of them. No problem, that's easy to set up.
>> But now, suppose some one (locally or non-locally) sends a mail to user C
>> that does not exist (nor virtual nor as a account). I want my set-up to be
>> able to deliver it to user X. Basically, I want X to receive all the mails
>> that were sent to my domain, but not to an existing virtual user.
>> Is there a way to achieve that?
>
> You have a virtual <table>. Just do this:
>
> a@mydomain    user_a
> b@mydomain    user_b
> @mydomain     user_x
>
> You even can write
> @     user_x
> to receive absolutely everything.
>

> > And more generally, is that a good idea?
>
> Some bosses like it, so a potential customer email doesn't get lost because
> of a typo. But X will most likely only ever receive spam.
> Do it and make your own experience :-)

So, I actually do this for one of my domains, but not for all — it’s a special
case domain used for ad-hoc emails.  I.e., I suddenly am asked for an email
address, and i’m unsure if I want to actually give out my email address, so I
make up foobar@mydomain.whatever <mailto:foobar@mydomain.whatever>.  foobar is
almost always the company name asking for the email (I did this with Comcast,
even though I was working for a subsidiary of Comcast at the time), and
mydomain.whatever is my catchall domain.

Combining this with some Sieve rules means I get my mail all filtered by
company (and if I decide to “keep” it, I can either add it to the sieve rules,
or I can change the email address on the account).

But: I really wouldn’t recommend this on *every* domain.  I’ve found that
sooner or later you’ll start getting all sorts of spam to random accounts on a
domain.

Sean