May 12, 2020 1:47 AM, "Thomas Bohl" <opensmtpd-misc-64...@aloof.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I need to use plain text authentication. I have to migrate an old > postfix
>> server that uses this
>> authentication mode. I have a lot of > devices configured in this way. I
>> have to plan the migration
>> to TLS, > while I want to use OpenSMTPD with plain text authentication. It's
>> possible?
>
> It's not possible to use plain text authentication with OpenSMTPD.
> https://www.mail-archive.com/misc@opensmtpd.org/msg04397.html
>
> I guess your migration plan has to give OpenSMTPD a different hostname or
> port and let postfix run
> till ever device is moved to a TLS config.

The question is confusing:

PLAIN AUTH is an authentication method which uses plaintext credentials and
encodes them in base64
in opposition to other authentication methods relying on challenges.

OpenSMTPD supports PLAIN AUTH, what it doesn't support is authentication
outside of a TLS channel.

So yes, you can use OpenSMTPD with plain authentication BUT you can't use
authentication if you do
not setup TLS first.

Gilles