On Jul 29, 2009, at 2:41 PM, Tom Martz wrote:

> You just can't up and decide to change the parliamentarian procedure
> of the HoR, so I would guess what was done is in the rules somewhere
> and the other side never took advantage of the rules when they where
> in control, or they did and the talking heads made light of the
> shrill yelling democrats instead of researching the issue complete.

Why can't you spontaneously change the rules? Some of us witnessed
just that through the whole Republican Convention process this last
year. All they need to do is ignore the "agitators" and steamroll over
them. When someone objects and appeals the decision of the Speaker,
since all of the officers are appointed by the same side, the decision
is pre-ordained. The problem is there is no objective interpretation
of the rules and no way to objectively enforce them. So, if you want
to break the rules, do something painted with just enough of a veneer
of legitimacy that you can drown out objections and go on or cite some
non-existent precedent that other people don't have time to call you
on and say you were 'mistaken' or 'misspoke' after the fact.

It is not difficult at all. And. yes, the Republicans have done some
blatantly immoral, unethical, and probably illegal things at times
when they/we [as I identify myself as a Republican, I should probably
take my share of responsibility] were in power, and that is certainly
wrong, but from what I can tell from research, this Congress really is
breaking all of the records and barely bothering to preserve even the
*veneer* of legitimacy. If Democrats do not support this, then they
should be speaking out on all levels from gas station attendant on up,
just as quite a few of us Republicans objected strongly and at great
risk to ourselves when "we" were in power under Bush II.

And, yes, I know that folks like you, Tom, have been speaking out
against both "sides" for a while. Some of us are later to the party,
but count me in for a cocktail. I am a bit sore at the moment, so
please don't mind if I don't sit down right away :-(.

Sincerely,

Eric Vought
"Faith does not absolve us from trying to understand our world and
make moral distinctions with the eyes and brain given us. Religion is
as much responsibility as direction: Duty not Distinction."