August 10, 2009
The Big “Single-Payer” Lie
Scan the history of government programs. The scope and costs usually grow much
larger than originally projected.
Moreover, ham-fisted government intervention distorts markets, causing
shortages or excesses of supply, leading to high prices for goods that should
be cheap, and so on.
When the problems pile up one can either repeal the controls or heap on more
controls.
Guess which “solution” politicians tend to prefer.
Regarding medical care, the politicians’ answer to decades of government
bungling is more bungling: regulation, subsidies, rationing, mandates and a new
“public option” in health insurance to squeeze out private plans.
President Obama and other public option advocates promise, on stacks of Bibles,
that this is not “somehow a Trojan horse for a single-payer system.”
But they’re lying. Go to YouTube. Watch the videos of Obama and congressmen
explicitly admitting their goal of a single-payer system. Just two years ago,
Obama was saying, “But I don’t think we’re gonna be able to eliminate employer
coverage immediately. There’s gonna be potentially some transition process. . .
.”
That’s how we lose our freedoms. Not all at once, but a slice at a time.
Oh, and about employer-provided medical insurance. That’s a clumsy institution
that exists because of World War II wage controls. We do have to transition out
of that system. But we should “transition” towards more freedom, not less.
This is Common Sense. I’m Paul Jacob.
Please support Common Sense. Help us reach our $52,000 goal. Donate today.

Comment on this episode | Listen to this episode

Paul Jacob is President of Citizens in Charge and the Citizens in Charge
Foundation, which sponsors both Common Sense and Paul’s weekly Townhall Column.
The opinions expressed in Common Sense are Paul Jacob’s and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizens in Charge or the Citizens in Charge Foundation.