On Aug 13, 2009, at 11:32 AM, Fred B. Ellison wrote:

> --- On Thu, 8/13/09, Dan Dunaway wrote:
>

> I think "Buy American" and "Buy Locally" is a good idea, but what we
> often think of as American companies is now deceptive (just like our
> politicians).
>
> We have a GE washer/dryer combination that is trash and defective
> (yet surprisingly not a manufacturer problem). We will never buy one
> of their products again.
>
> We don't buy Mexican produce. We don't buy Chinese goods if we can
> help it. We no longer go to dollar stores.

One easy way to tell: if the product is from your local growers-only
farmers' markets, its locally grown. If, instead of buying a chinese
tool or appliance, you have your old one fixed by your local handyman,
then it is made-in-the-USA.

If you must buy foreign, buy TOOLS that will help you replace their
products. That is what they did to us.

We have a neighbor who repairs CBs. Instead of buying new radios, we
bought used ones that he refurbished. As an added bonus, when they
were new they were American made. We had him fix our used US made
generator instead of buying a new one. I had a froe (a tool used for
splitting out boards) that was made out of an old, worn-out wood rasp.
I finally snapped the tang on the thing a bit ago and I traded it to a
local blacksmith who is making a new knife for my wife out of it for a
wool scarf I am making. One tool, three separate lives over several
decades. I have an old file sitting in a scrap bin that will be made
into a new tool once I figure out what I need.

I recently bought a used American-made rifle for hunting. Between our
tools and the neighbors', we will know our ammunition will be made-in-
the-USA because WE will be making it (and finding more US-made
components than you would think).

Instead of buying a new foreign-made hay bailer, our tenant bought two
old American-made ones and got one working between the parts. Now he
is hiring out locally to bail hay.

Some things we still have trouble working out. We ended up buying an
Ashford (Australian) spinning wheel for our business because there are
no production wheels made here anymore and we could not make or find
parts for one we have. But we are working on changing that, working
with a struggling steel fabrication and some local machinists to
potentially get parts made HERE.

Instead of buying foreign tack and harness for our horse, we bought
leather locally and are making much of what we need. We need a new
saddle, and that we will try to buy from someone local because it is a
touch beyond our skills so far.

We buy a portion of our clothes and items at the DAV thrift store. We
sew some of our own new clothes. Old cloths get donated or turned into
rags and reused.

You do not have to go completely nuts and make everything yourself,
but you would be surprised how far you can go, especially if you are a
bit handy and you barter with other such people around you. This
rebuilds the local economy. It does not matter whether you buy
something new, made-in-the-USA or used or refurbished. Either way you
are giving locals business. And by promoting those craftspeople, you
know exactly who to turn to if the trucks stop rolling for some reason.

We butchered our own sheep today (had to put down a ram that had
turned mean and had killed another sheep). For customers, we typically
contract out to someone certified (can't do anything else, legally)
and we could do that for ourselves, probably will often enough, but it
gives us a chance to develop the skill. We know we can do it if and
when we need to. This way as well, we will be able to make neat's foot
oil which we use in making our saddle soap and is getting hard to
find, we will get the suet to make tallow for our soap and candle
line, we will get the horns for sale  and the skin will become a rug
(I have tanned hides here and there). That is less we have to buy
elsewhere. We have bees now, so between our own wax and our own
tallow, we are buying a lot less wax from outside and when we do, we
give preference to local beekeepers and a local family butcher shop.
The surplus honey and the fact that it keeps one of our neighbors off
the property :-) is just gravy.

Again, *we* take things a bit overboard since our business is both
farm and craft related and you do not need to go that far. But, can
you learn to knit or sew while watching the news in the evenings? Can
you learn to change and turn your own brake calipers (please have
someone more experienced help you the first time--- brakes are
important to get right)? Get a replacement part from your local scrap
yard? Help your neighbor re-deck his roof or plant yourself a garden?
Every bit helps. Every skill you learn makes you more capable of
surviving a down turn. Every tradable product you can make is
something you can use to get something you need.

Bust cycles in the economy are a cue to let failing businesses die and
be reabsorbed into the local economy. It is the time that their
resources (tools, equipment, labor, capital) get turned to local use.
It is time for people to pay down debts (or file and write them off if
necessary), to save up for the next boom cycle. Our wonderful
government has worked hard to make this system stop working by
injecting even MORE capital into a hurting economy and forcing many
separate bubbles to burst at the same time (real estate, telecom,
commercial real estate, automotive, etc), but we still have to get to
the bottom of the cycle before we can even *start* the climb back up.

> Boy, my world is getting smaller all the time. I need an end of life
> counselor to get me out of this.
>  and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the job you
> save may be your own or your neighbors!

OUR world is getting bigger as we do this: as we meet new people,
learn new skills, and develop new business relationships. Everybody
has a skill, you just have to find it and figure out what to trade for
it.

Sincerely,

Eric Vought
"Faith does not absolve us from trying to understand our world and
make moral distinctions with the eyes and brain given us. Religion is
as much responsibility as direction: Duty not Distinction."